Print this Page
  • Text Size
  • A
  • A
  • A

Engineering Department

The Engineering Department provides engineering assistance to the public and other town departments concerning town roads, street lines, town rights of way and easements, sanitary sewers, floodplain management and stormwater issues. The Department, together with town land records in the Town Clerk’s Office, maintains records for most roads, sewers and many other parts of the town’s infrastructure. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Septic System Pumpouts

The Department issues permits for the town pumpout service for those residences which do not have sanitary sewer service available to them. Any residential property which does not have sanitary sewer service available to it is entitled to one pumpout of their septic tank every three (3) years. A permit is valid for one year from date of issuance. No gray water tanks or cisterns are eligible for pumpout. Permits are purchased at the Department in Town Hall for $25.00. After purchase, the property owner is responsible for uncovering the pumpout port of the septic tank and calling the designated vendor to be put on the schedule for non-emergency cleaning. Emergency or weekend service is not provided. The Town does not maintain records for septic systems. Any records may be available from the East Shore District Health Department, 14 Business Park Drive, Branford. Tel. 481-4233.

Road Excavation permits

The Department issues permits for any excavation within the town highway limits, whether within the pavement, on the town right of way outside the pavement, or within town easements. Excavation within a town road requires a minimum $2000 cash bond to be posted to insure protection of the excavation and to provide funds for the town to perform final patching of the excavation. In addition, a certificate of insurance is required listing the Town as an additional named insured to insure all liability for the excavation is covered by the excavator’s insurance. As required by state law, a current call before you dig notification shall also be provided. Finally, a $45.00 excavation fee is payable to the Town of Branford prior to the issuance of the permit. The permit holder is responsible for scheduling town inspections during excavations.

Call before you dig

The Department processes all “Call Before You Dig” requests for excavations within Branford. This includes review of excavation notifications and markouts of sanitary sewers and important stormwater facilities to protect these portions of the town’s infrastructure from damage during excavations. We do not mark out private property improvements or connections. For your own protection, care should be taken to insure that no utilities are impacted in any excavation, no matter how small. Any markouts by the Department will be in our designated color of green.

Sanitary Sewer Connection Permits

The Department maintains records of all sanitary sewer installations in town. In order to insure the integrity of the sanitary sewer system and to protect the town’s substantial investment in this portion of our infrastructure, any work done on the system or connection to the system, including repairs or modifications, requires a permit issued by the Department. All connections done by other than owners of single family owner occupied residences must be done by licensed professionals holding a P-1, P-7 or W-9 license as issued by the State of Connecticut. The current fee for the permit is $2.00.

Floodplain Management Permit

The Department administers the town’s Floodplain Management Ordinance. This ordinance regulates all activities within the federally designated flood zones and, because the town has these regulations, residents are allowed to purchase federally sponsored flood insurance. Any alteration or improvement of property, whether land or buildings, within the 100 year floodplain, requires a permit. The flood hazard zones are established by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and therefore the Town of Branford cannot provide residents with a flood zone determination for a specific property but we do provide the public with access to maps and documents to assist you. The Town also does not issue elevation certificates for properties in flood hazard zones.Please contact a licensed surveyor if you need an elevation certificate. Floodplain permits are normally processed with any building permit application and have no fee.

The Floodplain Regulations can substantially impact any plans you may have for properties within the 100 year floodplain.The Floodplain management Ordinance can be found in Chapter 161 of the Town Charter ( see the Town Government tab on front page of the Towns website). Please contact us early in any planning process for improvements to your property. We will be happy to meet with you to discuss the impacts of these regulations on your project. please call the office to setup an appointment to meet with the Town Engineer.

Stormwater Management

The Department is managing the federally mandated stormwater management program. Municipalities must produce a stormwater management plan and undertake measures to manage stormwater and work to improve stormwater quality. Mapping of the town’s stormwater system is currently underway and other departments are working to meet the goals set in the plan. Interested citizens have been meeting with department heads to insure compliance with the program requirements. Continued public participation is necessary for the success of the program and interested citizens are invited to contact the department for further information.

Other Services

Many other records are maintained and other services are provided by the Department. Please contact us for further information or if you have any questions. If we cannot help you, we will try to find the proper department to help you. Unfortunately, engineering services specifically related to individual private properties or disputes between adjoiners most often require the services of a consulting engineer and/or land surveyor. The town does not provide engineering or survey services for private properties which are unrelated to town infrastructure. If you are unsure, please contact us and we will advise you if we can help.

Listing files in 'Engineering Department Documents'

Contact Information

Engineering Department
Branford Town Hall
1019 Main Street
Branford, CT 06405

Phone: (203) 315-0606
Fax: (203) 315-2188
Town Engineer: John Hoefferle
Hours of Operation: 8:00-4:30 M-F
Permits are issued until 4:00pm

Building Permit Application Checklists

Wastewater Facility Plan

Coastal Resilience Plan

Stormwater Annual Report 2016

Stormwater Management Plan 2017

2017 MS4 Annual Report

Harbor Street Bridge Project

Roadway Elevation Plan

Structure Elevation

Structure Plan & Section

Detour Plan

Shoreline Greenway Trail Project

Public Information Meeting Presentation

Main Street Gateway Project

Public Information Presentation

Branford Connector Corridor Study Presentation

Town Hall Address: 1019 Main Street, Branford, CT 06405 Phone: (203) 488-8394 Business Hours: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, Monday-Friday